Table of Contents
- 1 What tools are needed to replace a rear wheel bearing?
- 2 How do you change a wheel bearing step by step?
- 3 How do you get a wheel bearing off?
- 4 How much does it cost to replace wheel bearing on Hyundai Sonata?
- 5 How can I tell if my Hyundai Sonata has a bad bearing?
- 6 Why does my Hyundai Sonata make a high pitched noise?
What tools are needed to replace a rear wheel bearing?
What Tools Do I Need To Replace A Wheel Bearing?
- A set of needle-nosed pliers.
- ratchet wrench with various sized sockets.
- flat-head screwdriver.
- star wrench for loosening nuts on the wheel.
How do you change a wheel bearing step by step?
Part 1 of 3: Prepare your car
- Materials Needed.
- Step 1: Put chocks behind your wheels.
- Step 2: Loosen the lug nuts.
- Step 3: Lift up the vehicle.
- Step 4: Remove the lug nuts.
- Step 1: Remove the brake caliper and bracket.
- Step 2: Remove the outer wheel bearing.
- Step 3: Remove the rotor and inner wheel bearing.
How do you get a wheel bearing off?
To remove the inner wheel bearing, you first need to pry the seal out of the back of the hub. You’re replacing it, so don’t worry about destroying it. A long screwdriver rocking on a fulcrum point like the handle of a hammer usually does the trick. With the seal out, withdraw the inner wheel bearing.
Can you replace a wheel bearing without replacing the hub?
Your wheel bearing may have been damaged slightly in the past and has now worn to the point it is starting to make noise. Your mechanic is correct in that the only repair for the bearing is to replace the hub. It is a sealed unit and cannot be disassembled without destroying it.
Is the wheel bearing part of the hub assembly?
A wheel bearing is located within the wheel hub, which connects the wheel to the axle. Each wheel has its own set of wheel bearings. The bearing is inside the wheel hub assembly.
How much does it cost to replace wheel bearing on Hyundai Sonata?
The average cost for a Hyundai Sonata wheel bearing replacement is between $275 and $313. Labor costs are estimated between $146 and $184 while parts are priced at $129. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your specific model year or unique location.
How can I tell if my Hyundai Sonata has a bad bearing?
Test Drive – The best way to diagnose bearing noise in your Sonata is to take it for a drive. You’ll be looking to hear the hum increase as the speed picks up. Jack and Wiggle – With your Sonata on jack stands, you’ll want to look and see if the wheel is wiggling at the bearing. If it is, that’s proof positive that you need a new wheel bearing.
Why does my Hyundai Sonata make a high pitched noise?
If your Hyundai Sonata is making a high pitched noise or hum, it could be a sign of a bad wheel bearing. There are several different vehicular components that can make a squeal or hum.
How are wheel bearings held together on a car?
A wheel bearing is a set of steel ball bearings that are held together by a metal ring that allows the wheels of a car to spin with as little friction as possible. Each wheel on your vehicle has its own wheel bearing, and problems could start with any one of them.