Table of Contents
- 1 Can you take tamsulosin if you have sulfa allergy?
- 2 Who should not take Avodart?
- 3 What drugs should be avoided with sulfa allergy?
- 4 Does Tamsulosin contain sulfa drugs?
- 5 Is Avodart better than Flomax?
- 6 How long can you be on dutasteride?
- 7 What kind of capsules are in Avodart capsules?
- 8 Are there any side effects to taking Avodart?
Can you take tamsulosin if you have sulfa allergy?
Tamsulosin (Flomax) used to treat symptoms related to enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), is safe to take in folks with a sulfa allergy.
Who should not take Avodart?
Since this drug can be absorbed through the skin and may harm an unborn baby, women who are pregnant or who may become pregnant should not handle this medication. It may take 3 to 6 months to notice an improvement in symptoms.
What are the two side effects of dutasteride?
What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Dutasteride?
- Impotence (trouble getting or keeping an erection)
- Decreased sexual interest/ability (libido)
- Ejaculation disorder (decrease in the amount of semen/sperm released during sex)
- Breast disorders (increased breast size, breast tenderness)
- Testicle pain or swelling.
What are the long-term effects of taking dutasteride?
Conclusion Our findings suggest that long-term dutasteride therapy produces worsening of ED, reduced T levels and increased glucose, HbA1c and alters lipid profiles, suggesting induced imbalance in metabolic function.
What drugs should be avoided with sulfa allergy?
Drugs to Avoid With Sulfa Allergies
- Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim (Bactrim, Sulfatrim), a sulfa combination drug that can be taken in liquid or pill form for many types of infections.
- Sulfacetamide (BLEPH-10), drops for eye infections.
- Sulfadiazine silver (Silvadene), a cream to prevent and treat burn infections.
Does Tamsulosin contain sulfa drugs?
Sulfa Allergy: In patients with sulfa allergy, allergic reaction to Flomax® (tamsulosin hydrochloride) capsules has been rarely reported. If a patient reports a serious or life threatening sulfa allergy, caution is warranted when administering FLOMAX capsules.
Does Avodart affect blood pressure?
This medication may cause a sudden drop in your blood pressure, which could lead to dizziness or fainting. This risk is higher when you first start taking this drug or if you restart treatment after you stop taking it. During these times, avoid situations where you may be injured if you faint.
What class of drug is Avodart?
Avodart is a prescription medicine used to treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia). Avodart may be used alone or with other medications. Avodart belongs to a class of drugs called 5-Alpha-Reductase Inhibitors.
Is Avodart better than Flomax?
Avodart (dutasteride) reduces prostate size and relieves symptoms, but can lower sex drive when first starting on it. Makes it easier to urinate. Flomax (tamsulosin) is a good treatment for an enlarged prostate if medical treatment is needed, but it can reduce your sex drive and takes time to kick in.
How long can you be on dutasteride?
Long-term treatment (up to 4 years) with dutasteride seems to result in continuing improvements in urinary symptoms and flow rate and also seems to produce a reduction in prostate volume in men with symptomatic BPH.
How do I know if I have a sulfa allergy?
Sulfa Allergy Symptoms If you’re allergic to sulfa drugs or any other medication, you may have one or more of these symptoms: Skin rash or hives. Itchy eyes or skin. Breathing problems.
Which drugs are sulfa drugs?
Sulfa-containing drugs include:
- sulfonamide antibiotics, including sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (Bactrim, Septra) and erythromycin-sulfisoxazole (Eryzole, Pediazole)
- some diabetes medications, such as glyburide (Diabeta, Glynase PresTabs)
What kind of capsules are in Avodart capsules?
AVODART soft gelatin capsules 0.5 mg are oblong, opaque, dull yellow, gelatin capsules imprinted with “GX CE2” with red edible ink on one side, packaged in bottles of 30 ( NDC 0173-0712-15) and 90 ( NDC 0173-0712-04) with child-resistant closures.
Are there any side effects to taking Avodart?
Do not donate blood while taking Avodart and for at least 6 months after your treatment ends. Avodart can be carried in the blood and could cause birth defects if a pregnant women receives a transfusion with blood that contains dutasteride. Using Avodart may increase your risk of developing prostate cancer.
What to do if you have an allergic reaction to Avodart?
If a woman accidentally comes into contact with this medication from a leaking capsule, wash the area with soap and water right away. Before taking Avodart, tell your doctor if you have ever had an allergic reaction to dutasteride, or to a similar medicine called finasteride (Propecia, Proscar).
Can a pregnant woman take an Avodart capsule?
Avodart capsules should not be handled by a woman who is pregnant or who may become pregnant. Do not chew, crush, or open a Avodart capsule. Swallow the capsule whole. Dutasteride can irritate your lips, mouth, or throat if the capsule has been broken or opened before you swallow it.